Operator Day, hosted by Canonical, is a series of events co-located at KubeCon and CloudNativeCon. This year, the 8th edition of Operator Day will take place online during KubeCon EU 2024 in Paris, Tuesday, 19 March 2024.
The previous Operator Day at KubeCon North America 2023 focused on how operators work and how to create them for Kubernetes and cloud-native applications using the Charm SDK for Juju. Juju is an open source orchestration engine for software operators that enables application deployment, integration and lifecycle management at any scale on any infrastructure using operators known as charms.
Whereas last year we explored the charm lifecycle in general, this year we will take a closer look at specific operators for some of your favourite open source software.
What is Operator Day?
Canonical launched Operator Day at KubeCon North America in 2020. Since then, Operator Day events have presented charms: what they are, how to use them, how to create them and how you can benefit from them. If you missed past events, you can freely access recordings on YouTube; see more on the Operator Day homepage.
What happens at Operator Day in 2024?
This March, the presentations will focus on operators for popular open source software running on Kubernetes to create cloud-native solutions, including:
- The PostgreSQL operator in action: Database servers are typical cases for automating operational tasks. See how the charm for PostgreSQL covers automation for disaster recovery and other management tasks.
- A charm for the popular MongoDB: a great example of a sophisticated workload up to enterprise-scale is MongoDB. Learn how a charm for MongoDB supports deployment, management, patching and upgrading on Kubernetes or IaaS clouds.
- Modern Relationship-based Access Control (ReBAC) with OpenFGA: A context-aware ReBAC model based on OpenFGA provides more flexibility and expressiveness – perfect for running operators. See how the open source orchestration engine Juju takes advantage of a modern, state-of-the-art, fine-grained access model.
Register at Operator Day
Read our introduction to Juju and Charms, the operators built for Juju:
- Browse our collection of charms on Charmhub.io
- Learn about Juju – our open source orchestration engine
- Learn about the Charm SDK
- See recordings of previous Operator Day event