Home-based - Americas / EMEA
Job Location: Americas / Western Europe - your home, given appropriate facilities including broadband Internet.
As a software engineer at Canonical, you have a key role in the success of Ubuntu, our partners, customers, and the larger Ubuntu community. Your primary responsibility is to your team - contributing toward objectives, continuously improving, and striving to be a vital part of a healthy, high-performing team. At Canonical, you will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
As part of Cloud Engineering, you’ll be building modeling software to drive applications running on cloud technology (such as Kubernetes and OpenStack). You’ll be engineering solutions to scale in production, working with our field teams to ensure we’re meeting the needs of customers looking to adopt cutting-edge technology.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have a history of writing modern, maintainable Python
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, distributed systems
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Keywords: python, kubernetes, openstack, postgresql, agile, linux, ubuntu, home, remote, travel, open source
Reports to: Operator Engineering Manager