This week, Dell announced the availability of its XPS 13 Developer Edition, preloaded with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, has been updated with Intel’s® new 11th generation core™ processors. This is the first laptop to preload Linux together with Intel’s 10nm Tiger Lake processor. The XPS 13 Developer Edition is focused on bringing out-of-the-box usability, stability and performance for software engineers.
Intel’s 11th generation Core processor brings two key updates to the XPS 13 Developer Edition. First, it includes the option of an integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics card, which brings gaming-capable graphics to light and thin laptops, and can scale up to 32GB RAM, which means developers can do more right from their workstation. Second, Intel’s 11th gen Core processor supports Thunderbolt 4 ports, to make the XPS 13 compatible with data, video and storage devices, achieving a minimum of 40GBPS transfer speed.
The XPS 13 Developer Edition gives software developers premium quality hardware with the raw performance they need. Precision crafted with machined aluminum, carbon fiber or woven glass fiber, the small, thin and light XPS 13 is compact but powerful with Intel’s latest 10nm processor, and advanced thermal designs. The design maximises comfort with a 16:10 InfinityEdge display providing a 91.5% screen-to-body ratio and an edge-to-edge keyboard and large touchpad.
Today’s announcement is the latest fruition of Project Sputnik, a partnership that sees Dell and Canonical arm developers with Ubuntu certified hardware that works out-of-the-box, enabling the highest levels of productivity. Dell and Canonical’s engineering teams perform thousands of rigorous tests to ensure that Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and all of its subsystems work flawlessly from first boot. As with all LTS releases, Canonical will continue to provide security updates for up to ten years and perform regression testing throughout its lifecycle. Additionally, non-Developer Edition XPS 13 users can now install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and remain within their warranty and support conditions, further expanding the range of devices that can run Ubuntu.
Highlights of Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS:
- Access to a library of popular apps including Visual Studio Code, Slack, Spotify, Plex and the JetBrains portfolio through the Snap Store
- The latest stable versions of the tools developers need – Ruby 2.7, Python 3.8 and GCC 9.3
- Get your workstation or laptop looking how you like it with a new theme and light/dark modes
- Control WiFi, wallpaper and application with ease, through a revamped Settings menu
Key Features of XPS 13 Developer Edition:
- 4-sided InfinityEdge display
- Over 18 hours of battery life (with Full HD+ screen)
- Available with up to 32GB of RAM
- Fingerprint-reader support
- Eyesafe® display technology
More information on pricing and availability of XPS 13 Developer Edition can be found on their website.