Weekly status for the week of the 2nd to the 8th of October 2017.
After everyone got back home from New York City, we got back to work on LXD, LXC and LXCFS.
On the LXD front, other than a large amount of bugfixes, we’ve made our online documentation available through Read The Docs. It can be found here: https://lxd.readthedocs.io
We’ve also been designing and implementing a new API to retrieve an overview of system resources (CPU and RAM) and storage pool resources (disk space and inodes). This should make it easier to interact with a remote LXD daemon sitting on an unknown physical server.
On the LXC side, a new template to generate OCI based application containers has been included. And we’ve otherwise been fixing some of the bugs reported after the LXC 2.1 release.
The other main focus across all projects has been preparing the stable branches so that we can finally release bugfix releases for all the various branches of LXC, LXD and LXCFS. The branches are all now ready and we’re doing some testing on them before releasing. A call for testing is available here.
Lastly, we’re excited to announce that we’ll be running the containers devroom at FOSDEM 2018. More details to come soon.
Upcoming conferences and events
- Open Source Summit Europe (Prague, October 2017)
- Linux Piter 2017 (St. Petersburg, November 2017)
- FOSDEM 2018 (Brussels, February 2018)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- External authentication support for LXD servers
- Distributed database for LXD clustering
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Cleaned up our default AppArmor rules.
- Tweaked our documentation for publication on read the docs.
- Fixed an invalid error message being displayed during image refresh.
- Added a migration fix for users that are lacking an old DB schema update record.
- Documented the instance type feature and tweaked our Github issue templates.
- Fixed a number of issues in “lxd init”, remote handling of storage pools and bad image expiration.
- Cleaned up the storage part of shared/api/
- Renamed some of the files under shared/api.
- Improved lxd-benchmark a bit, fixed renaming of network bridges and cleaned up some logging code.
- Cleaned up a deprecated getty systemd override in the Debian template.
- Merged the initial OCI template.
- Dropped some useless AppArmor profile entries.
- Improved some string handling internally.
- Improved configuration migration in LXC 2.1 for the lxc.kmsg and lxc.pivotdir keys.
- Updated the Japanese manpages.
- Nothing to report
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Nothing to report
- Fixed a number of issues with the “lxc” wrapper related to filesystem path handling
- Fixed bash completion integration with a number of Linux distributions