- State prerequisites upfront so they don’t start down a path they can’t finish.
- List the minimum number of steps that they should follow to see the charm working at some level of success. e.g get your users to a web dashboard or a REPL. We suggest using fewer than 10 steps.
- Give your user links to sensible next steps. Link to external resources, most important first.
Extra points to keep in mind
- Remember your user is in the GUI.
- Start instruction with verbs – write in the imperative tense.
- Write the simplest actions. Concentrate on what they need to do to get started.
- Use code blocks for CLI commands.
- Use the format of machines, protocols, and full paths to make reaching the most important endpoints of your application obvious.