Ubuntu Server is the world's most popular Linux - on cloud and bare metal. In this role, you will manage the team delivering cloud-init - the standard for customizing cloud instances - to the world.
Driving early system config is so much broader than just Ubuntu on a server. Cloud-init supports various distributions and underlying underlying platforms. That provides a great opportunity to work with:
- Cloud providers to add features/integration and improve efficiency.
- The whole cloud-init community from individual users and developers to major contributing companies.
- Distributions to update their builds and coordinate their needs.
You’ll be fully owning the product allowing you to influence its evolution and interact with many teams and partners to coordinate new features, enhancements and integration into various platforms.
The successful applicant will be passionate about the future of cloud-init, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and aware of the needs of large, innovative customers.
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader passionate about strong teams, open source software and Ubuntu. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Work with Product Management to define the vision and strategy for Ubuntu and your team
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and commercial partners
- Oversee the quality of the Ubuntu Server image family
- Plan and deliver Ubuntu Server features
- Work from home with global travel for up to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have 3+ years of experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers. Experience managing distributed teams is a plus.
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills in english
- you have experience with a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Practical experience with at least 1 of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development, with annual budget for professional development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working options and schedules
- Work remotely with a talented globally distributed team
- 18 weeks full pay primary care giver parental leave, 4 weeks secondary, from day 1
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.