Combine your Python software engineering skills, your love of travel, and your general knowledge of the full stack, from hardware to application, networking, Linux and open source, to help customers embrace Canonical's offering on public and private clouds. Our field engineering team bring infrastructure-as-code and high-level application automation to bear to help customers create sophisticated open source deployments - from OpenStack to Kubernetes, Hadoop to Airflow.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a competitive open source technology leader who enjoys solving problems under pressure and wants to travel regularly. The main responsibilities of this position are:
- Apply your knowledge of Linux, virtualisation using libvirt/KVM and your knowledge of TCP/IP networking to deliver customised solutions for our customers.
- Understanding and hands on experience with popular open source software such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Kafka, Cassandra and NGINX.
- Discuss detailed architecture, designing complex solutions and guiding customers to successful data-center infrastructure operations
- Engage early on in the pre-sales process and remain engaged throughout the delivery phase
If you have a passion for the latest open source technologies, cloud-native development, data-center technologies such as Openstack, Kubernetes, Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and computer networking, you will love the Field Engineer role at Canonical.
The successful Field Software Engineer will have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3 years of Linux development experience
- Professional experience with any of OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ceph or Ubuntu
- Fluent English for technical and business conversations
- Software engineering in Python and/or Go
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Experience with or willingness to learn new technologies, including LXD, Snaps, MAAS, Juju and Ubuntu
- Ability to travel globally for periods up to two weeks; up to 50% of travel time (pending on covid-19 restrictions)
Nice to have:
- A widely-spoken second language
- Experience contributing to open source projects in cloud or devices
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.