Software Engineer, Commercial Systems
Home based - Americas, EMEA
Canonical delivers the market leading operating system in the Cloud - Ubuntu. The commercial systems engineering team's mission is seamless access and integration to Canonical services that provide added value to the already rich open-source universe. Building a combination of home-grown systems and integration with existing open-source technologies, off-the shelf SaaS and public cloud marketplaces, the team enables sales, operations, support and delivery at Canonical to scale.
As a member of the team, you will be challenged to identify, design and implement software that increases exposure of open source solutions to the world. As part of an established and fully remote team your daily tasks will be designing, coding, reviewing, testing, delivery and maintenance of these software solutions. You will also be asked to provide guidance and consulting on other projects that integrate with these services around the company.
- Develop services, features, and enhancements, primarily in Python or Go
- Work with the team in an agile manner on design, implementation, testing and code reviews in an iterative manner
- Take ownership of services deployed to production that satisfy diverse interests across our company
- Collaborate with other teams in Canonical to design central APIs that are exposed to dozens of customer facing applications and websites
- Evaluate off-the-shelf software and SaaS products to supplement services developed in house
- Assist in meeting with internal stakeholders to help gather requirements and set priorities
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related engineering field
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer in a high-level language
- Proven ability to consistently deliver robust code to production
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders and remain highly motivated, productive, and organized
- Familiarity with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform
- Experience developing and maintaining a robust and stable API for external consumption
- Experience integrating with authentication systems, ID management systems, public clouds, SalesForce (or other CRMs) a plus
- Experience providing critical and honest evaluation of 3rd party commercial systems software a plus
- Able to travel to international destinations is expected for 1 week at a time approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations in the last year have included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.
What Canonical Offers:
Recruiter adds additional benefits if applicable
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.