Senior IoT Systems Engineer
Home based - EMEA
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Do you want to change the game of how companies build IoT products? Revolutionize what embedded development means? Thanks to Snaps and Ubuntu Core, we are enabling a wide spectrum of companies to apply cloud approaches to their IoT fleets and products.
The role is a fast-paced, problem-solving role that’s challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, quick-thinking, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across IoT technologies.
As part of the IoT Field Engineering team, at Canonical you will focus on:
- Helping customers to architect and deploy highly secure IoT products leveraging Snap packaging technologies and Ubuntu Core
- Partnering with the sales team across pre- and post-sales activities, providing insights and consulting on the best combination of apps, services and products
- Participating as technical lead on architecting complex customer engagements involving broad, system solutions from cloud to edge
- You will help our customers integrate their apps, build device OS images, optimize applications for Ubuntu Core and Classic, deliver training, develop proof of concepts, demonstrate and present some of the most advanced operating systems and application technologies available in the enterprise world.
Joining Canonical, you will partner with bright minds from all over the world, work with an exciting set of new technologies in a fast growing company with a truly unique and ambitious vision to build a better IoT with free software. The diversity of projects with our customers makes for an always renewed experience, with exciting IoT platforms and technologies, from innovative startups to major players in a broad range of verticals: on the factory floor or in drones, with robots or in retail spaces.
Required skills and experience:
- BA/BS (or higher) degree in Computer Science or related engineering field experience
- A solid understanding of Linux plumbing and the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Comfortable with modern programming languages like Golang, Python, NodeJS, or Rust
- Experience with Docker/OCI containers/K8s
- Experience with some Linux packaging (Debian, RPM, Yocto)
- Basic understanding of Security technologies (certificates, PKI, HSMs, Secure Boot, ...) and best practices
- At ease with Git/Github source control management
- Good understanding of networking - TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTP/REST
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Ability to travel globally for periods of up to two weeks; overall 30% travel time
Nice to have
- Experience with industrial IoT protocols (LWM2M, MQTT, Modbus, OPC-UA, …) and wireless (LTE, BLE, Zigbee/802.11af, ...)
- Knowledge and experience with messaging architectures (DBus, SOAP, gRPC)
- Prior IoT / Embedded experience - from board and SoC usage, bootloaders and firmware to operating systems through applications and cloud services.
- An understanding of open source communities and licenses
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.