Ubuntu Community Representative
Home Based - EMEA, Home Based - North America
Ubuntu Community Representative
Who is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. It is our mission to make open-source software available to people everywhere. We believe the best way to fuel innovation is to give innovators the technology they need.
The Ubuntu community team is looking for a talented, technology-oriented communicator to
enable and support community participation in Ubuntu. You will focus on the Ubuntu community processes, ensuring they are high quality and consistently implemented.
You will be responsible for communicating and scheduling the regular Ubuntu community team meetings, document the activity/attendance in those meetings and publish minutes. You will ensure nominations and voting are scheduled and voting successfully concluded and results published.
Outside of those core responsibilities the community representative will welcome community contributors to the Ubuntu project and offer assistance to new and existing contributors seeking to get involved or expand their role.
Community representatives have a broad impact and responsibility for maintaining the health of the community processes and growing community contributions to the Ubuntu project.
You will work in a distributed team and travel internationally 4 to 6 times per year (1 week at a time) for engineering sprints, industry events, and conferences. Recent destinations include: Vancouver, Lisbon, Paris, New York, Phoenix, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle, Malta and Cape Town.
- Responsible for setting the agenda and scheduling regular meetings with all the community teams, councils and boards.
- Oversee all Ubuntu community meetings, ensuring quorum is met, keeping track of action items and publishing meeting minutes.
- Responsible for ensuring nominations and voting for members seeking places on community councils and boards take place in a timely manner.
- Review Ubuntu community fund requests and ensure quarterly reports are published.
- Secondary responsibilities:
- Nurturing community contributions to the Ubuntu project.
- Assisting local community teams with event planning.
- Collaborating with the advocacy team promoting Ubuntu via blogs and social media.
- Engage with the Ubuntu community through various means, including AskUbuntu, IRC, social media, conferences, etc.
- Represent Ubuntu via speaking engagements at industry events and community conferences.
Required skills and experience
- Outstanding organisational and planning skills.
- An enthusiastic self-starter.
- Clear public record of accomplishments (talks, blog posts, GitHub, Twitter, etc.).
- Strong writing skills.
- Strategic and creative thinker who can effectively navigate many opportunities.
- Can work autonomously and assume full ownership of objectives as needed.
- Comfortable with Linux-based operating systems, such as Ubuntu.
- Comfortable with online communication and collaboration, such as mailing lists, video calls, IRC and forums.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a distributed team.
- BS/BA or equivalent in Computer Science, Technical Communication, English, or a related field.
Desired skills and experience
- Knowledge of HTML, Markdown and other documentation technologies.
- Knowledge of video creation and production.
- Familiarity with Launchpad, GitHub, GitLab, and other code repositories and collaboration tools.
- Experience delivering training is a plus.
- Additional language skills.
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development.
- Annual Compensation Review.
- Recognition Rewards.
- Annual Leave.
- Maternity and Paternity Leave.
- Priority Pass for travel.
- Flexible working option.
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.