IoT Software Engineer
Office Based - Taipei, Taiwan
Software Engineer - Taipei, Taiwan
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Canonical's OEM Enablement Team works with OEM and ODM customers to pre-load Ubuntu Classic, Ubuntu Core, and bringing Ubuntu directly to millions of users. As a Software Engineer you will be responsible for technical aspects of ensuring that Ubuntu functions well on systems. This fast-paced environment requires strong debugging, critical thinking and problem-solving skills and a deep knowledge of the Linux system.
As a Software Engineer you will:
- Debug and customize a wide range of software components in Ubuntu;
- Work closely with project managers and QA engineers to identify, triage, and fix critical system-level problems as Tech Lead;
- Provide software and system engineering support for OEM and ODM customers;
- Work with individual upstream projects to find and apply patches for bugs affecting OEM/ODM customers; champion locally-developed patches for inclusion in the upstream package;
- Some international travel required. Must be able to travel to the EU, USA, China, and Taiwan;
The successful Software Engineer will have :
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related STEM field
- Proven experience to assign and track tasks and bugs; Assist and support team members to deliver on-time OEM deliveries;
- Strong working knowledge of the x86 Linux software ecosystem, especially:
- Linux kernel drivers,
- grub, UEFI, ACPI,
- systemd, udev, dbus, and Debian-like environment;
- Debian and/or other Linux packaging;
- Strong and proven experience in debugging WiFi/BT, USB, audio, graphics, power management under Linux Desktop;
- Proven experience with C, Python, shell script; For creating and maintaining automated tools and open-source projects;
- Experience with open-source development tools such as GCC, GNU Make, Autotools, Git/GitHub/Bzr and Launchpad bug tracking.
- Strong English-language communication skills, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC;
- Excellent and proven time-management skills;
- Ability to be productive in a globally-distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation;
Desirable skills and experience
- Participation in open-source development projects;
- Experience on Wifi/BT, and/or Graphics and/or Ethernet driver development;
- Familiar with network protocols;
- Fluency in written and spoken Mandarin Chinese or Taiwanese;
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.