We are building a new team to focus on the Java ecosystem. They will deliver the best possible Java runtimes and supporting tooling in Ubuntu, and enable Ubuntu users access to the wider Java ecosystem. Our goal is to enable mission-critical Java applications to be deployed and operated safely, securely and efficiently on large-scale Ubuntu estates. We are also keen to ensure that the cutting edge of Java innovation is available to Ubuntu users, to lay the foundation for future inventions and open source communities building on the JVM.
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Java and the Java Virtual Machine, Linux system and software architecture. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, and make Ubuntu the best operating system to develop and run your Java applications in the cloud and in data centers, in containers or directly on the operating system, and anywhere else Java and Ubuntu can run (that is: pretty much everywhere!).
25 years in and going strong, Java is a staple of enterprise software the world over. A vibrant ecosystem of programming languages like Kotlin and Clojure has grown around the Java Virtual Machine. The JVM is at the forefront of exploration into how scalable, reliable software is written and run. The ecosystem of frameworks to build applications in Java and other JVM languages is undergoing a revolution centered on GraalVM and native application images thanks to frameworks like Spring Boot Native, Quarkus.io and Micronaut.
Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form, with long-term security maintenance commitments. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. The successful applicants will be passionate about the future of Java and the Java Virtual Machine, and of Ubuntu. They will be mindful of the dynamics of the open-source ecosystem, and aware of the needs of large but innovative organizations.
Part of the Ubuntu Foundations team, you will work on the architecture, design and development of core components of Canonical Ubuntu related to the Java Virtual Machine and associated tooling. You will discuss design with colleagues and community, and mentor less senior engineers through code reviews and design reviews. You will also work with other teams to ensure our decisions improve the overall performance and experience of Ubuntu. As a member of the Ubuntu Foundations team, your work will have an impact on every aspect of the Ubuntu ecosystem from Desktop to Server, Ubuntu Core, containers and also cloud images.
We believe that developers working with Java and other JVM languages all around the world should have an operating system that makes their job easy and pleasant. Come join us and let’s make this happen!
As a Senior Software Engineer - Java Runtimes and Tooling - you will:
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Work with technical product managers to define the JVM roadmap in Ubuntu
- Select, integrate and package best-of-breed JVM tooling in Ubuntu
- Ensure Ubuntu rates top as the platform for JVM-based innovation
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality fixes
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks a year for internal and external events
The successful candidate will:
- Be a long-time Linux user
- Love technology and working with brilliant people
- Be passionate, curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- Have experience or an interest in packaging software for Debian and Ubuntu
- Have professional Java experience, ideally in the world of cloud-native software
- Have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Be enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- Value soft skills
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.