We are hiring a technical director to run our fully managed private cloud services - OpenStack and Kubernetes - which we call Bootstack. This is a global leadership role, responsible for all technical operations in a self-contained managed infrastructure business. The team is currently at 30 FTE and growing as the business scales.
Our managed services teams build and operate modern distributed systems on private infrastructure for customers all over the world. We aim to deliver the world’s best bare-metal operations with complex distributed systems. From OpenStack to Kubernetes, and a growing portfolio of big data and analytics solutions, you’ll oversee, grow and shape teams working with the latest technology in a fast-paced engineering environment.
Although this is a technical leadership role, we are looking for a candidate with extensive experience of hyper-converged infrastructure on Linux, and comprehensive knowledge of the virtualisation stack, OpenStack, and Kubernetes. The team handles all low-level operations for our managed services customers. It works with our core engineering team, and a dedicated opscode devops team, to ensure a high level of service reliability for managed services customers, and the continuous improvement of our bare metal products.
As an engineering director at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the teams you support: to ensure that they measure results, make improvements, do valuable work, and find career satisfaction at Canonical. Technical leadership is a requirement, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your teams. Strong aptitude for planning, management and operations are necessary too. You will have the opportunity to influence our culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams on strategy and execution.
This job is global and open to applicants in any time zone. Our senior management team works full time remote. As a member of that team, you will find it easiest to work from EMEA or Americas, but great candidates in APAC will also be considered.
What you’ll do
- Manage and lead a global, distributed team of managers and engineers
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
- Carry director level engineering responsibilities for team development and performance evaluation
- Carry operational responsibility for shift scheduling and rotations
- Measuring and making decisions based on key performance indicators
- Encouraging mentorship and training for new skills across the team
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions in a variety of technology fields
- Build team expertise in Ubuntu Server, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Build team expertise in a wide and growing array of open source applications
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
- Lead professional responses to software incidents and outages, through troubleshooting, bug fixes, RCA reports
- Shape the future of Canonical's offerings to improve reliability through architecture discussions
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about both technology and people management
- You love developing and growing healthy teams and have a track record of doing it
- You display strong team leadership skills, including the ability to work with engineers and management to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring engineering managers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You are an excellent communicator in the English language, both verbal and written
- You enjoy communication with customers to help satisfy their needs
- You are experienced with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- You are familiar with OpenStack, Kubernetes and other cloud platforms
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) education in a technology field
- Proven track record of large-scale devops with critical services and infrastructure on bare metal, preferably on Ubuntu
- Proven track record of professional experience of either software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, Java, or similar
- Demonstrated commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Technical aptitude for understanding complex distributed systems
- Experience or knowledge of OpenStack, Kubernetes or Virtualization technologies
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Leadership experience, and preferably team management experience
- Confidence under pressure, with proven track record of high customer focus
- Preferably fluent in two languages English being primary
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience with private cloud architecture and technologies
- 100% work-from-home
- Learning and development
- Competitive salary
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Open source is now the centre of technology innovation, and the new default for tech and traditional companies alike. Canonical Ubuntu is the fastest growing open source platform, with over 20 million users globally. Canonical provides commercial support, consulting and training services to customers and partners who are deploying Ubuntu. Our customers are technology innovators inside global enterprises using Ubuntu and open source to build the future in their industry.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.