This is an exciting opportunity for an engineering manager who is passionate about open source software, Linux, and cloud computing. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
Sustaining Engineering is a critical team that handles the most difficult customer escalations, resolving software bugs, code defects and other issues, from the kernel all the way up to the highest levels of the open source stack. This position leads our APAC team, and is one of several managers who report directly to the global Director of Sustaining Engineering.
Our customers build large-scale mission critical infrastructure and application solutions on Ubuntu and open source from Canonical. We underpin the largest digital operations on public cloud, private infrastructure and the edge. When a problem occurs that is having a significant impact on a global organisation, it is escalated to our sustaining engineering team who works together with experts from across our many engineering and support teams. Whether its finding the fast path to a workaround, or finding the permanent fix to be contributed upstream, our engineers work under pressure to understand the issue and steer the customer to safety.
This team is well staffed with experts in every time zone, and while the work is always important to a customer and time is always of the essence, the team is resourced to ensure the work-life balance and ongoing development of each team member. Colleagues who work in this group need to enjoy pressure, but they also get to enjoy a normal work week, time off, leave, in addition to training opportunities. We aim to grow the breadth, depth and scale of the team, maintaining a high level of expertise, resilience and energy, to service our expanding customer base and address an ever increasing range of open source software.
As an engineering manager in the Sustaining Engineering team, your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, making valuable contributions, and generally having a great experience at Canonical. Technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you are able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
This job is open to applicants in APAC timezones only, and is a full-time, remote position.
What you’ll do
- Manage and lead a distributed team of engineers
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
- Manage shift scheduling, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and training
- Support timely delivery of bug fixes, patches, and other technical solutions to address business needs in a variety of technology fields, including but not limited to Ubuntu Server, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Collaborate with management and other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 10% for internal and external events
Who you are
- Professional software delivery experience sing C, C++, Go, Java, Python, or similar
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- Leadership experience displaying ability to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- Experience with version control systems such as git
- Experience with debugging tools such as gdb, crash or other
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written
- Experience with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- Experience with Open Source and Open Source Business Models
- You have interest and deep experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux - kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of people and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- 100% Work-from-home
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.