Combine your Linux support and software engineering skills, passion for technology, and your general knowledge of the full stack, from hardware to application, networking, Linux and open source, to help customers get the most Ubuntu. Our team provides exceptional technical support and engineering solutions to help customers with everything open source on Ubuntu Server and Desktop.
This is an opportunity for an open source technologist who enjoys solving problems under pressure.
- Apply your knowledge of Linux desktop, applications, authentication and security
- Demonstrate your knowledge of TCP/IP and wired & wireless networking on Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server
- Act as the technical authority and utilise your experience with popular open source software
- Provide advice on deployed architecture, implementing solutions for complex problems
- Debug Ubuntu Desktop issues and contribute code to help fix them
- Communicate regularly with the customer team about ongoing issues
If you have a passion for the latest open source technologies, technical support, development, desktop technologies and networking, you will love the Desktop Support Engineer role at Canonical.
The successful Desktop Support Engineer will have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Open source experience
- Professional support experience with Linux desktop (preferably Ubuntu or other Debian-based distros)
- Familiarity with PC and/or laptop hardware as well as SBCs e.g. Raspberry Pi
- Familiarity with Debian or Snap packaging
- Experience with GNOME, GTK, Python, or C
- Experience with or willingness to learn new technologies, including Snaps, WSL and others
- Must be able to speak English fluently
- Excellent communication skills and extensive experience in customer-facing positions
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Ability to travel
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.