Help global companies embrace the latest private cloud infrastructure, cloud native operations, and open source applications. Field Software Engineers are part of our global cloud field engineering team, which apply expert insights to real-world customer problems, enabling the enterprise adoption of Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes and a wide range of associated technology.
We often say that field engineering is 'the hardest job at Canonical' because customers can ask about any aspect of our solutions and products and expect a thoughtful, well-informed answer. We always want to do the best thing for our customers, regardless of our company interests, and field engineers are the people we trust to ensure that is true.
The people who love this role are developers who like to solve customer problems through architecture, presentations and training.
The main responsibilities of this position are:
- Understand Ubuntu, Linux, KVM and TCP/IP in real-world environments
- Architect cloud infrastructure solutions like OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ceph, Hadoop and Spark
- Architect and integrate popular open source such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Kafka, Cassandra and NGINX
- Provide consultancy services regarding cloud deployments either On-Premises or in Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Identify bugs, submit patches and contribute to open-source code
The successful Field Software Engineer will have :
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3 years of Linux development experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience with either OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ceph and/or Ubuntu
- Background contributing code in Python
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Interest in new technologies like LXD, MAAS, Juju and Snaps
- Ability to travel globally; up to 25% of travel time (after covid-19 restrictions lift)
Nice to have:
- Second language is a plus.
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.