This is an exciting opportunity for a technical leader passionate about open source software, Linux, and cloud-native computing. Come and build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
As the leader of the Python Operator Framework team, you’ll be responsible for designing and maintaining the framework that allows for the creation and management of Charmed Operators - software that drives software. You’ll work closely with other teams in Canonical to ensure the framework provides a reliable, easy-to-use solution that scales to production workloads and meets the needs of our customers looking to adopt cutting-edge technology. You will be responsible for ensuring sound software architecture and enforcing best practices in software quality, testing and documentation.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to your team: helping them grow as engineers, do important and satisfying work, and have a great time while doing it. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role. You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Because of the central nature of this team and role, it will be easiest for candidates based in TZs from eastern America to eastern Europe, but exceptional candidates will be considered globally.
What you’ll do
- You will lead a team in building a framework that supports all of Canonical's cloud operations
- You will build and manage a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelise great engineering and organisational practices
- Ensure that your team delivers great products that users love by maintaining a culture of quality and engineering excellence
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have a software engineering background, preferably with proven Python experience
- You have experience developing Python frameworks, and understand the importance of stable consumable APIs
- You love embracing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible, with a view to building products that improve how people operate software and infrastructure everywhere
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.