This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux system and software architecture. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. Applicants will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open-source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organizations.
Part of the Ubuntu Foundations team, you will use your linux systems knowledge to impact many areas of the Ubuntu system from early boot and services to middleware, compiler and toolchains. You will also use your experience in Python and C to contribute to and improve the overall Ubuntu systems stability and quality. As a member of the Ubuntu Foundations team, your work will have an impact on every aspect of the Ubuntu ecosystem from Desktop, Server, Ubuntu Core and also cloud images.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks a year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You have significant experience with Ubuntu and Debian Linux - kernel or userspace, QEMU/KVM and system architecture
- You have packaging experience - ideally Debian packaging
- You have a track record of professional C and Python development
- You have experience with Java development on Linux (nice to have)
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.