Director, DevOps Engineering
Home based - Worldwide
We are hiring a new position to lead a global effort to translate operational knowledge from our managed service organization into code using teams at distributed office locations around the world. The software your teams will contribute to is all open source and varies from packages in Ubuntu itself to compute infrastructure layers up to applications. These teams are still in the process of growing, so effective hiring strategies with internal and external recruiters, having an eye for recognizing talent, even establishing relationships with local colleges will be essential to your success in the position.
As an engineering director at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the teams you support: ensuring that they are continually improving, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a leader of managers, technical leadership and management acumen is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your teams. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams on strategy and execution.
Even though your teams are office based, this job is available globally and remotely. Most of our senior management team works full time remote. As a member of that team, you will find it easiest to work from EMEA or Americas, but great candidates in APAC will also be considered.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead globally distributed teams of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Grow and develop new engineering managers to help create high-performing teams
- Support your teams in timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other internal organizations, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 25% for internal/external events and team visits
Who you are
- You love developing and growing healthy teams and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development and organizational management
- You value getting things done by turning product vision into executable strategy
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring engineering managers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Canonical also believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.