The ideal candidate for this role will have experience in software engineering, distributed systems, database operations on Linux, and Kubernetes. You will be building and leading a new team focused on building operators for data solutions that leverage modern operational practices for operating data applications at scale on Kubernetes and other underlying platforms.
For this role you must have proven experience with Python. Additionally, you should bring knowledge of the operational concerns when running data platform technologies in production and at scale. Specialist knowledge in particular areas such as MongoDB, Hadoop, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Spark, etc. is a strong advantage.
To succeed in this application you must be outstanding at maths and sciences, and have built high quality software, learned about open source ideally by working on it directly, and be looking for an engineering management role with a company that makes mission-critical products for the global market. You should also be familiar with the open source environment, and want to build products in partnership with a community.
As an engineering manager, you must also have excellent judgement about people - their motivations, abilities, developmental needs and prospects for success.
Engineering at Canonical requires hands-on code contribution and review, as well as architectural leadership. You will need to demonstrate insight into performance and quality engineering practices and ensure your team embraces effective disciplines on both fronts. You will need to be comfortable holding contributors accountable for work ethic and results. You must also have an understanding of security practices and principles and the impact that engineering choices have on product security.
We expect teams to deliver well-documented products and work with design professionals to shape the product experience. You should relish the opportunity to shape and direct and develop an engineering team that is happy and brilliant, and produces a product that will be a pleasure to use and to evolve.
What you’ll do
- You will lead a team in building a variety of scalable data solutions on Kubernetes and other substrates
- You will build and manage a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelise great engineering and organisational practices
- Ensure that your team delivers great products that users love by maintaining a culture of quality and engineering excellence
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have a software engineering background, preferably with Python experience
- You have experience operating database software on Linux in large-scale production environments
- You love embracing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible, with a view to building products that improve how people operate software and infrastructure everywhere
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.