Fast Track Software Engineering Lead
Home based - Americas, EMEA
Canonical is the publisher of Ubuntu. We help businesses worldwide embrace and operate open source across public cloud, private cloud and edge.
This Fast Track opening gets reviewed by a senior team at Canonical for placements across the company. Successful candidates will be offered a range of positions matched to their strengths. Applicants to this role will be expected to write a short submission outlining their interests, strengths and vision for the future of open source.
Exceptional Software Lead
You have proven exceptional at maths and sciences, and are looking for a technical leadership role without management responsibility.
Your technology interests are diverse and may include cloud computing, IoT, or Linux itself. You have a gift for software design and implementation, and enjoy contributing to a highly professional environment with careful choices of technology, architecture, data design, and user interface. You have broad-based knowledge of Linux, networking, software development, databases, API design and possibly web presentation layers.
You can demonstrate insight into performance and quality engineering practices in your field, and you have helped teams embrace effective disciplines on both fronts. You also have an understanding of security practices and principles and the impact that engineering choices have on product security.
You have experience producing well-documented products and working with design professionals to shape the product. You have clearly articulated views on the ways engineering practices influence product outcomes, not just technically but in open source communities and in the marketplace.
You have deep experience with either or both Python and Golang. You may also have front-end web engineering experience, which is an advantage in this role.
It is an advantage to be able to point to open source work of your own which demonstrates these strengths.
This is a role for leadership, architecture, design and mentorship, not individual contribution through coding, but it may require periods of code spike to establish key frameworks, APIs or interfaces. You should, in other words, relish the opportunity to write code while being most interested in helping an engineering team produce a great product that will be a pleasure to use and to evolve.
This role is a path to technical leadership in the following areas:
- Cloud native development and operations (Docker, Kubernetes, CAAS, PAAS)
- Internet of things technologies and capabilities
- Containerisation and virtualization technologies
- Devsecops tooling, practices and services
- Data applications from SQL databases to big data
- AI/ML ops and technologies
- Robotics and embedded Linux in a wide variety of industries
- Security offerings, practices and services
- Storage from raw disk to filesystem to network service
- Networking from bare metal to SDN and overlays
- Distributed systems design and implementation
- Linux, the kernel and Ubuntu itself
- Desktop Linux and desktop applications on Windows and macOS
- Open source community collaboration and leadership
In applying for this role you will need to demonstrate both exceptional technical skill, broad based knowledge of the modern open source software arena, proven mathematics or engineering ability, and the ability to articulate ideas and motivate others to embrace your thinking.