Home Based - Americas
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Engineering Manager - Sustaining Engineering
Ubuntu is the fastest growing Linux distribution, with over 20 million users globally. As the engineering manager for the Sustaining Engineering team, your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, making valuable contributions, and generally having a great experience at Canonical. Technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you are able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
What you’ll do
- You will manage and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Management responsibilities over an engineering team, including performance management, shift scheduling, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and training
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs in a variety of technology fields, including but not limited to Ubuntu Server, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions, through troubleshooting, bug fixes, RCA reports and architectural discussions.
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing so
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- Experience coordinating and managing a distributed team with the ability to effectively interact and manage a diverse group of people
- Prior engineering leadership experience displaying strong team leadership skills, including ability to work with engineers and management to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- Minimum 5 years professional software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, Java, or similar
- Experience with version control systems such as git
- Experience with debugging tools such as gdb, crash or other
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate, mentor and manage others to do the same
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written
- Experience with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- Experience with Open Source and Open Source Business Models
- Familiarity with OpenStack, Kubernetes and other cloud platforms
- Capable of working from home and being highly productive
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.