Canonical's Juju team is looking for a talented, technology-oriented communicator to join a distributed team focused on delivering the best tools for automating the operation and scale out software on today’s cloud infrastructure.
As a technical writer in the Juju team, you will engage directly with the engineering team on a day-to-day basis, interact with the user and developer communities around Juju, construct documentation and tutorials, and assist developers within the Juju community. Juju provides the opportunity to work in the fast paced world of cloud operations and datacenter management. You will have a broad impact and responsibility for quality of the software developer experience with Juju and the long-term success of the project.
As a member of the Juju team, you will collaborate with software developers, product managers, other writers, information architects, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers to develop easy to understand documentation for complex technical topics.
What you'll do
- Create materials for experienced software engineers as well as those who may be new to developing with Juju
- Create material such as - installation and upgrade guides, development best practices, release notes, technical papers, tutorials, and knowledge-base articles
- Read design documents and specifications, build, install, and use pre-release software to assist in generating proper instructions
- Select appropriate medium, such as manuals or videos, for message or audience
- Engage with the Juju community through various means including the Juju discourse website
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Collect user feedback to update and improve content
- Analyze documents to maintain continuity of style of content
- Ability to translate complex topics into understandable, digestible topics
Who you are
- BS/BA or equivalent in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, or a related field
- Proven experience working in a technical writing position
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to rapidly assimilate technical information from a variety of sources
- Flexibility to work with new technology in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with command line UNIX/Linux
- Experience of working effectively as part of a distributed team
- Confidence in using Ubuntu as a desktop computing platform for all of the above
- Familiarity with using Git or other version control systems
- Knowledge of HTML, Markdown and other documentation technologies
- Ability to travel up to 10% as needed for internal events
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.