Software Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)
Canonical is hiring a Software Engineer to join the Certification team in Taipei (Taiwan). This is an excellent opportunity for someone who would like to build automated testing infrastructure/hardware in a fun, fast-paced environment.
The Hardware Certification team develops the tools needed to certify hardware as working with Ubuntu Core as well as Ubuntu Desktop: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification
We are looking for a self-motivated hardware certification or software engineer with experience in Linux testing or Linux hardware certification to work as part of a distributed team.
The role involves different tasks including the maintenance of our certification lab, creating/tweaking hardware solutions for automating tests, automating our existing processes, constantly seeking out process improvements, as well as the development of new automated tests.
You’ll love this job if...
- You love testing operating systems on new hardware and you enjoy being surrounded by cables, network switches and lots of hardware platforms running Ubuntu.
- You love developing tools that transform a hard task into an easy one.
- You want to be part of a team that is helping Ubuntu to work better in a wider range of hardware.
- You are excited about the future of IoT and Ubuntu’s role in its adoption.
- You like to build hardware to solve common problems/to make testing easier.
- Be an active member of the Certification team.
- Write test cases and test scripts to test the functionality and performance of all HW systems ( laptops, desktops, gateways) to ensure they continue to be certified even after kernel and other module changes.
- Automate lab processes to allow for quicker testing on devices in the lab.
- Help build a suite of hardware to test device enablement (graphics testing/hotplug, bluetooth testing, etc).
- Update the test coverage in line with changes in the Ubuntu development roadmap and customer/stakeholder requirements.
- Improve existing automated test cases and help develop new test cases.
- Work with hardware partners, the certification team and the development teams to ensure that bug reports are triaged and assigned to the appropriate teams in a highly efficient and effective manner.
- Participate in meetings involving international travel
Required skills and experience
- 3-5 years experience with Linux hardware or equivalent.
- Systems administration knowledge, including setting up network services.
- Previous experience working with Ubuntu or other Linux based products.
- Software or hardware testing experience.
- Strong background in testing methodologies and test automation.
- Hardware design experience.
- Scripting languages programming knowledge.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Strong English language communication skills, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with Python programming.
- Experience working in an agile and/or SCRUM environment.
- Experience with IoT device testing, basic understanding of IoT software stacks.
Location: Canonical offices at Taipei (Taiwan)
Reports to: Certification Team Manager
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.