Global customers engage Canonical to deliver complex infrastructure and application solutions, or enable Ubuntu on their hardware, or deliver new classes of smart device. All of these projects are driven by a series of regional project management teams, organised by discipline, reporting to this role, the Director of Engagement Project Management.
Canonical’s Engagement Project Management Office (EPMO) ensures that all programmes and projects within our Cloud, Enterprise and Devices portfolios are delivered successfully. The director also leads the global team, ensuring consistent use of our project management methodology.
In this role you will lead a globally-distributed remote team and provide active leadership across all aspects of project delivery. You will serve as an executive customer escalation point on critical projects, and drive strategic direction and integration activities across the organisation. You will act as a trusted advisor to the company leadership team, collaborating with other executive stakeholders to enable customer success while also serving as a system of control to the business.
As the owner of a critical competence centre, you will provide leadership in resource allocation, problem solving and continuous improvement, as well as drive governance around the total investment for projects in support of business initiatives, including portfolio management and delivering against business objectives.
- Establish and promote industry-recognised, best-in-class EPMO and project management standards across your team and the delivery organisation
- Lead the evaluation and recommendation of programme and project management tools, systems, processes and resources, driving continued use, improvement and maturation of best practices
- Establish measurable KPIs to enable executive status reporting across Canonical, implementing, maintaining and continuously improving programme/project management capabilities and reporting to support business goals
- Collaborate within the Operations leadership team and across Sales, Field Engineering, Support, Managed Services, Partners/Alliances, Engineering, Quality Assurance and Product Management to implement recommendations that address common challenges across projects
- Ensure customer satisfaction through accountability of roles and responsibilities across and within projects, driving project execution excellence, reviewing customer feedback and participating in customer meetings
- Integrate, develop and upskill the existing PMO teams
- Develop project management capabilities of team members in the EPMO through goal-setting via regional team managers, setting clear expectations, training, coaching, group and individual meetings and discussion
Experience and Skills:
- Extensive experience leading remote project teams with cross-cultural and multi-continent internal and external project resources
- In-depth experience setting high level strategy and successful implementation, adept at making things happen while successfully managing risks
- Demonstrated success in building collaborative teams with internal and external partnerships for rapid business growth and scale
- Robust, effective business leader and negotiator that is comfortable in a customer facing pre-sales role through having experience managing complex enterprise technical projects
- Experience managing projects with Linux/UNIX technology components (Support, Development, Implementation). Familiarity with embedded device/IoT software development, IT data center architectures, server architectures, cloud technology, OpenStack and/or FIPS or Common Criteria Certifications are preferred
- Degree level education in a technical or problem-solving field. Ideally also an MBA or equivalent qualification.
- PMP or PRINCE2 practitioner certification strongly preferred
- Willingness and ability to travel 6-8 weeks a year, for one week at a time, domestically and internationally
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours in support of a worldwide sales and project team