Director TechOps PMO
The Director of Canonical’s Engagement Project Management Office (EPMO) ensures that all projects within our Cloud & Enterprise portfolio make consistent use of project management methodology. You manage a globally-distributed remote EPMO team, spread across Americas, EMEA and APAC. You provide active leadership across all aspects of full lifecycle project delivery (initiation to completion). This includes: project team roles & responsibilities, stakeholder interface, project planning, requirements gathering & documentation, issue tracking & resolution, and full project execution-tracking, reporting, rollout, and formalized project closure. You will serve as an executive customer escalation point and resolve customer issues. You will drive strategic direction and integration activities across the business. You will become a Trusted Advisor within the organization and your organization will serve as a system of control to the business. As the Director, you will provide leadership in resource allocation, problem solving, and continuous improvement, as well as drive governance around the total investment for projects in support of business initiatives, including portfolio management and delivering against business objectives.
Experience and Skills:
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, in English.
- Extensive experience successfully managing remote project teams with cross-cultural and multi-continent internal and external project resources, preferably with resources in Europe, APAC, and Americas.
- In-depth experience setting high level strategy and successful implementation.
- Demonstrated success in building teams for rapid business growth and scale.
- Strong business leader that is comfortable in a customer facing pre-sales role managing complex enterprise technical projects.
- Extensive experience building successful internal and external partnerships and effective working relationships.
- Self-starting senior level professional who “makes things happen” with a track record of successfully anticipating issues and risks.
- Fundamental understanding of the five project management process groups and full accountability to continuously stay on top of the known triple constraint (or project management triangle).
- Deep understanding and ability to manage key shared (non-dedicated) technical and business stakeholder roles and responsibilities in service delivery projects.
- Experience managing large-scale (>$1 million in project costs, over one-year duration) external-facing service delivery projects such as custom engineering, software development, or data center build-outs from initiation through closure.
- Experience managing projects with Linux/UNIX technology components (Support, Development, Implementation), familiarity with IT data center architectures, server architectures, cloud technology, OpenStack, and/or FIPS or Common Criteria Certifications are preferred.
- Strong negotiation skills; exceptional intelligence.
- 15 years of project management experience in a computer or technical service field.
- Degree level education, preferably in a technical or problem-solving field.
- PMP/PMI, or PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification strongly preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel 6-8 weeks a year, for 1 week at a time domestically and internationally.
- Ability to work non-standard work hours in support of a worldwide sales and project team
- Establishes and promotes industry-recognized, best-in-class EPMO and project management standards.
- Evaluates and recommends project management tools and resources; and drives a program to ensure continued utilization and maturation of best practices.
- Responsible for implementing practices for continuous improvement--aligning with Canonical’s strategy--with regards to scope, schedule, budget and quality across projects and within individual projects.
- Delivers executive level communication of project status and key project attributes covering all projects in the portfolio.
- Responsible for improving Portfolio Retrospective Dashboard and maintaining a regular project costing report.
- Drives continuous improvement within the EPMO with regards to baseline project planning.
- Oversees successful migration of portfolio data to a data warehouse relational model.
- Works within the TechOps leadership team and across Sales, Field Engineering, Operations, Partners/Alliances, Engineering and Product Management to integrate recommendations as it relates to addressing common challenges across projects.
- Ensures customer satisfaction through ensuring accountability of roles and responsibilities across and within projects, particularly by project sponsors and project managers, driving project execution excellence (including clear communication plans using standard reports, meetings, and tools), reviewing customer feedback, and participation in customer meetings where necessary.
- Develops project management capabilities of project team members in the EPMO through goal-setting via regional team managers, setting clear expectations, training, coaching, group and individual meetings and discussion.
- Recruits and leads the EPMO team, applying the principles necessary for the successful management of projects throughout the project life cycle across all projects; sets and controls standards and mentors project managers to improve delivery of projects on time and within budget, given scope and known risks.