Linux Systems Support Engineer - Americas REMOTE
Remote / Home Based
Linux Systems Support Engineer - Americas
At Canonical, we believe in the power of open source to change the world. Our services help businesses and governments around the world with migrations, management and support for some of the best open source projects - Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes, MAAS, LXD, Ceph. We are enthusiastic professionals from over 30 countries, the majority of whom are working from home.
What is a Linux Systems Support Engineer?
We solve challenging technical problems. From not-seen-before kernel crashes to configuration issues to root cause analysis, we provide an expert level of support and satisfaction to our customers.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented problem solvers with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
- Work from home - take back those commuting hours and save those vehicle/transit costs!
- Get paid to help improve open source software.
- Possibility of international travel, up to 4 weeks a year.
- Daytime working hours - keep that work/life balance.
- Swap days add schedule flexibility when needed.
- Time off for conferences.
- Talent development program.
- Initial mentoring program to bring up to speed on needed technologies.
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack, and more.
- Study time and expenses for obtaining relevant certifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Bachelors or equivalent 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Pass a background check.
- Minimum 4 years experience supporting Linux systems including experience in:
- Virtualization - especially with KVM or OpenStack.
- Containers - especially with Docker, LXD/LXC, or Kubernetes.
- Storage - especially with Ceph, Swift, XFS, ZFS, btrfs.
- Networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, MTU issues, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Troubleshooting experience:
- Basic reading of stack traces to be able to search for duplicates, escalate to correct team.
- Understand OS and Application level bugs and advise on next steps
- Programming fundamentals in any language.
- Customer support experience:
- Know how to adapt your speech depending on your audience.
- Communicate clearly: setting the right expectations, providing timely status updates, and clearly explaining necessary steps.
- Not getting too attached to a technical problem to not be able to let go or see the bigger picture.
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Canonical’s wide variety of products including Ubuntu server, Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu cloud images, Juju, MAAS, Snaps, Landscape, Canonical’s distributions of OpenStack and Kubernetes, and more.
- Ownership of results: Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled according to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Engage directly with customers and work collaboratively by phone, ticketing system, and remote sessions to resolve their issues.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Contribute new knowledge base articles and maintain existing articles, ensuring shared knowledge and lessons learned are available to customers.
- Understanding Ubuntu development process to be able to set customer expectations correctly on timeline for a fix.
Background check required